What is Rotator cuff Injury?
ROTATOR CUFF INJURY is a common injury, especially in sports like cricket and tennis, or in jobs like painting or cleaning windows, etc. It usually happens over time from normal wear and tears, or if you repeat the same arm motion, Especially Over The Head. Also, it can happen suddenly if you fall on your outstretched arm or lift something heavy.
The rotator cuff is a group of 4 muscles (supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor & subscapularis) and tendons that surround the shoulder joint, keeping the head of the humerus tightly within the glenoid fossa of the scapula. the rotator cuff tendons can rub against the acromion process of the scapula or against a ligament at the front of the shoulder. Also, Inflammation of the rotator cuff is caused by friction known as impingement syndrome. Rough or repetitive shoulder movements are the most likely to cause rotator cuff inflammation.
Inflammation can cause three problems:
- Rotator cuff tendonitis
- Shoulder bursitis
- Rotator cuff tear/strain
When you lift something too heavy with a jerking motion or fall on your outstretched arm, you may tear your rotator cuff. This type of tear can occur with other shoulder injuries, such as a broken clavicle or dislocated shoulder. The doctor may require X-rays and ultrasounds or MRIs to confirm the diagnosis.
Sigh and Symptoms of rotator cuff tear:
- Firstly, severe pain at the time of injury
- pain at night
- pain with overhead activities
- positive painful arc sign
- weakness of the involved muscle
- Also, shoulder stiffness.
- Physiotherapy electrical modality to relieve your pain and enhance the healing of muscles and tendons. such as:
- Combo therapy (Ultrasound therapy+TENS),
- Extracorporeal shock wave therapy,
- High-intensity laser,
- Manual techniques such as:
- Acupuncture / dry needling,
- Kinesio taping.
- Crossover arm stretch
- Stand up straight and relax your shoulders. > You should reach as far as you can with the affected arm across your chest, but below your chin > use your healthy arm to hold the elbow area of the affected arm.
- Pendulum swing
- Rotator cuff muscle-strengthening exercises such as:
- Firstly, the External rotation pulse to overhead reaches with loop band.
- Secondly, External rotation at 90-degree abduction with a resistance tube.
- Thirdly, Isometric internal rotation 90/90 walk out with holding resistance tube.
- External rotation + overhead press with a resistance tube.
- Isometric external rotation 90/90 walk out with holding resistance tube.
- Side-lying external rotation with the dumbbell.
- Side plank shoulder external rotation.
- Supine shoulder external rotation with the dumbbell.
- Bilateral external rotation in plank holding loop band.
- 90/90 internal rotation with a resistance tube.
- 90/90 external rotation with a resistance tube.
- Abduction with a resistance tube.
- Elevated quadruped shoulder taps.
- Lateral taps in pushups position.
- 90/90 kettlebell stability exercise.
- In addition High row-to-shoulder external rotation at 90-degree shoulder abduction.
- Also, Prone external rotation to w press.
Elite physiotherapy and sports injury centre have all the advanced and fast-acting modalities to treat your rotator cuff-related issues come here to treat your rotator cuff injury and get the fast and best resolution to your rotator cuff injury.